Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Fasting

On Saturday night as we were getting ready for bed James mentioned that tomorrow was fast Sunday. We went and read scriptures and were about to say our evening prayers when I mentioned to James that we should fast together. This was the first time that we have done this and frankly the first time I was going to fast for a purpose. So we discussed what we wanted to fast for and we both threw out a bunch of ideas but none of them seemed quite right. It was his turn to pray but being James and not being able to make a decision to save his life delegated the task to me. I didn't have a clue what to fast for so I said a silent prayer to be guided as we began our fast. As I began praying I thanked Heavenly Father for everything thing I was thankful for being careful not to ask for anything. Then a thought popped into my mind that I hadn't thought about. It was to fast to get our year supply complete. As I started to pray for this an overwhelming feeling overcame my entire body. I had to stop and smile for a few seconds as I comprehended what was happening. I knew at that moment that Heavenly Father was there listening and was there to help us. When I finished my prayer I laid in bed for a good 20 minutes pondering and enjoying the spirit that I had felt. Then next day we went to church and I haven't enjoyed a fast and testimony meeting that much for a long time. It was such a good day and my testimony of fasting has grown. I know if we fast with a purpose in sync with Heavenly Fathers will we will be able to accomplish what we need to do.

2 comments:

Bev said...

finally....you blog! Loved your fasting story...amazing how the spirit works!! Also, what a cutie pie in hot Pink! Looks like she's having a good time and dad is too!

spice2116 said...

tam you are so awesome!! way to listen to the spirit. i am gaining a very strong testimony as ours grows slowly but surely :) very fun